AppRiver offers outbound filtering (Smart Hosting) for customers that host their own mail server and want to send e-mail through a more stable and secure environment. Please contact our sales department for pricing and configuration before implementing this feature. To configure Smart Hosting with Microsoft Exchange or Novell Groupwise, please follow the below steps.
Please note that there is a limit of 99 recipients on any message sent through AppRiver SmartHost servers. Any message with more than 99 recipients will be refused. Help with setting OutBound Recipient Limits can be found in AppRiver's Knowledge Base.
How to Create a Connector:
Click here to view the Connector creation process with an Exchange 2000/2003/SBS2003 server and SmartHosting tutorial video. This video will guide you through a step-by-step procedure on how to create a connector with an Exchange 2000/2003/SBS2003 server and relay mail through our SmartHost Service. Once you view the video, you are ready to create a connector.
1. Navigate to the Connectors section in the Exchange System Manager.
2. If running a Small Business Server you should just need to modify the existing SMTP connector properties.
3. Right-click Connector>New>SMTP Connector.
4. Name the Connector (1) and select the Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts option button, and then enter the smart host server name (2). Add the Local Bridgehead Server (i.e., the server that sends mail out to the Internet) (3).
5. Click Address Space (1), the Add... button (2) and then SMTP (3) to create the following address space. And click OK to complete the setup.
NOTE: Make sure to place a * in the address space to send all outbound mail through the connector.
How to Modify a Connector 2000/2003/SBS2003:
1. Open the Exchange System Manager and navigate to Connectors.
2. Select the Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts option button, and then enter the smart host server name. Click Apply, and then OK.
3. Restart SMTP.
How to Create a Connector for Exchange 2007/2010:
Click here to view the Connector creation process with an Exchange 2007 server and SmartHosting tutorial video. This video will guide you through a step-by-step procedure on how to create a connector with an Exchange 2007 server and relay mail through our SmartHost Service. Once you view the video, you are ready to create a connector. (Note that Exchange 2010 is similar.)
1. Open Exchange Management Console. (Note that if you have an Edge Transport Server, you must log into the Edge Transport Server to complete these tasks.)
2. Expand Microsoft Exchange > Organization Configuration > Hub Transport.
3. In the Actions pane, click New Send Connector (1). Enter in the Name of the new connector (2) and then click Next (3).
4. Click the Add... button.
5. Enter in “*” for the Address Space, click OK.
6. Select the Route mail through the following smart hosts: option button (1), and then click the Add… button (2).
7. Enter in the FQDN provided by AppRiver for your SmartHost server, and then click OK.
8. Leave the default options, and then click the Next button.
9. Click the Add… button to add a new Hub Transport server or select the Hub Transport or Edge Transport servers that you want to use, and then click Next..
10. Click the New button to build your connector.
How to Modify a Connector: Exchange 2007/2010
Open the Exchange Management Console and modify a connector in seven quick steps:
1. Open Exchange Management Console.
2. Click the + icon next to Organization Configuration.
3. Select Hub Transport and the Send Connectors tab.
4. Select Route mail through the following smart hosts, and then click Add.
5. Select Fully qualified domain name (FQDN), and then enter the provided host name of the smart host server.
6. Click Change... to set the authentication options.
7. In the authentication options, select None, and then click OK.
Any changes, which were just made under the Send Connector tab, will take effect immediately and do not require rebooting a server or restarting any services.
How to Create a Connector: Exchange 2013/2016
1. Login to the Exchange Admin Center (EAC).
2. Click Mail Flow, select send connectors, and click the Add (+) icon.
3. In the new send connector wizard, specify a name for the send connector, select the Type as Custom, and then click next. (Note that this selection is typical when messages will be routed to computers not running Microsoft Exchange Server 2013/2016.)
4. Choose Route mail through smart hosts, and then click the Add (+) icon. In the add smart host window, specify the IP address or the fully qualified domain name (FQDN), click save, and then click next.
5. For Smart host authentication, choose None, and then click next.
6. Under Address space, click the Add (+) icon. In the Add domain window, ensure the Type is SMTP, for the FQDN enter an asterisk (*), which indicates the send connector applies to messages sent to any domain, click save, and then click next.
7. Under Source server, click the Add (+) icon. In the Select a Server window, select and add -> server(s) that will be configured with the added Send Connector, click ok, and then click finish. (Note that all servers should typically be configured to use the added send connector.)
8. The added send connector will now appear in the send connector list.
Novell Groupwise 5.5 GWIA Environment
AppRiver's Outbound Messaging Service can be configured for the Groupwise v5.5 GWIA Environment in four quick steps:
1. Obtain the IP address from AppRiver for the SmartHost Outbound Message Service.
2. Go to NWADMIN and browse for the GWIA object. In the details section of the GWIA object, click the SMTP/MIME button.
3. In the settings section for the Relay Host field, enter the IP address provided by AppRiver.
4. Restart GWIA.
To configure smart hosting setup, please contact Support or call 850-932-9900.